Sam’s Star Island is known as the largest ship’s store and tackle shop on the East End, serving the avid sport fisherman, casual cruiser and professional captain and crew. The store is staffed by an expert crew dedicated to serving your boating needs. “Originally, we specialized only in marine supplies, but we have grown to meet the needs of the boating and fishing enthusiast,” says owner Sam Gershowitz. And they have, carrying all your boating needs, including footwear, clothing, rods, reels, tackle, bait, marine hardware, engine supplies, groceries, coolers, ice and sundries.
Apparel and Accessories
- Custom-designed Sam’s Star Island and Montauk T-shirts and sweatshirts.
- AFTCO resort wear.
- Xtratuf and Grundens boots & footwear.
- Foul weather gear by Grundén’s, Guy Cotton and Glacier Gloves.
- Costa Del Mar, Bimini Bay and Maui Jim sunglasses.
- For the followers of “Jaws,” a large assortment of shark teeth awaits your selection.
From the hardcore fisherman to the young snapper popper, the Sam’s Star Island tackle department can fulfill your every need.
- Inshore, offshore, and surf rods from Lamiglas, Star, Daiwa, Tsunami, Centaur, G. Loomis and Shimano.
- In-house custom-built rods.
- Avet, Accurate, Daiwa, Penn, Shimano, and Van Staal reels. Your reels can be spooled while you wait using mono, braid, and trolling wire by Ande, AFW, Jinkai, Momoi, Samurai Braid from Daiwa, and Hollow Core and PowerPro from Shimano, just to name a few.
Custom inshore and offshore lure rigging is a specialty at Sam’s Star Island.
- Lures, leader material and fluorocarbon, rigs, hooks, terminal tackle, tools, fillet knives and bait and cutting boards
Sam’s Star Island is the live bait headquarters in Montauk!
- Live eels.
- Frozen bait for inshore and offshore fishing.
- Bunker, mackerel and tuna chum; butterfish, herring, sardines, mackerel and bunker chunking baits; rigged and unrigged ballyhoo; and squid, spearing, sand eels, smelts and clam baits.
For the captain who prides himself on being hands on, we carry:
- Marine cleaners and waxes.
- Brushes and varnishes.
- Electrical connectors and wire.
- Hardware and plumbing fittings.
- Line and fenders.
- Lubricants, oil and fuel filters.
If we don’t stock the item you need, the crew will be glad to order it for you!
The store and fuel dock serves Shell gasoline and diesel.